Innovation and email are two words you usually don’t hear together in the same sentence. It’s true, email marketing has been around significantly longer than other forms of digital marketing, but it hasn’t stopped innovating. In fact, email marketing solutions and the way we interact with this channel has significantly changed over the last few years – and is likely to evolve quickly in the years to come.
What’s driving innovation in email marketing? First, super powerful, scalable, cloud-based email marketing software allows us to capture more data, which can be used for behavioral retargeting and dynamic content. Second, the changing inbox is constantly making new things possible. And finally, the devices we use to check our email open up a number of opportunities.
1. Video in Email – Quickly becoming the hottest topic in email marketing, new video format options and new approaches for fallback calls-to-action are helping videos make a comeback.
2. Live Email Content – This practice is achieved with a dynamic image server that detects things like subscriber location, device, and date and time at email open, and then serves relevant images.
3. Behavioral Retargeting – Gathering data on subscriber activity on websites, emails, social sites, and other channels is vital for informing your next engagement.
4. Pop-over Subscription Forms – Many companies are inserting pop-over subscriptions forms on their websites as another way to capture valuable Web browser information and acquire new subscribers.
5. Gmail Actions – Now Gmail subscribers can perform actions right in their inboxes without opening the emails, increasing the chances for conversion without a dependency on open rates.
6. Welcome Series – Sending a series of welcome emails over a period of time – each with a different call-to-action and offer – keeps new subscribers continuously engaged.
7. Social Media Integration – It’s important to do more than just add social media icons to your emails. You should integrate social into every part of your email programs.
8. Email and Display Integration – This coordinated approach to marketing to website browsers using behavioral email and display targeting can increase customer acquisition and conversions.
9. Re-engagement Programs – Sending a series of emails aimed at re-activating subscribers who have not engaged with you in a long time goes a long way toward extending their lifetime value.
10. Seasonally-relevant Creative – Subscribers appreciate seeing a change in creative every once and a while, and doing this with a seasonal twist makes it that much more relevant and engaging.
Download our guide, 10 Innovative Email Tactics, to learn tips for implementing these new tactics.
Lyris (@Lyris) is the leading global provider of digital marketing solutions that help companies engage with customers in more meaningful ways. Lyris products and services empower marketers to design, automate, and optimize data- driven interactive marketing campaigns that facilitate superior engagement, increase conversions, and deliver measurable business value. Lyris’ high-performance, secure, and flexible digital marketing platforms improve marketing efficiency by providing automated digital message delivery, robust segmentation, and real-time digital channel analytics. The Lyris solutions portfolio is comprised of both in-the-cloud and on-premises offerings – Lyris HQ and Lyris LM – combined with customer-focused services and support. More than 5,000 companies worldwide partner with Lyris to manage and execute sophisticated digital marketing campaigns across email, social, Web, and mobile channels. Learn more at www.lyris.com.